Monday, November 5, 2012

Don't let the "Good" get in the way of the "Great"

The title of this post is one of the greatest pieces of advice my mother ever gave me.

I've been so terrible with keeping up with my blog and I have so many things to add, but for now the most recent development.

A job has opened up, a good job, a great job for someone in my position. Jobs in my field don't open up often, especially near where I live, and certainly none that are the "perfect starting point." But this one is. It is perfect, it isn't ideal and the pay isn't ideal, but that isn't why I do what I do. I have great professional references from other faculty members, to the Chair of my current department and the Associate Dean. In this job market nothing is a guarantee, but I truly have a shot at this one. The job market everywhere is competitive, and my line of work is no exception. However, between teaching as an Adjunct and as a Teaching Fellow, I have 4 years of teaching experience under my belt, professional presentations at recognized conferences, and of course a million years of education.

However, the job starts in August 2013. This makes sense since the school year in college is typically August/September to May. A June baby would have been perfect, more than perfect! I wouldn't have had to miss any time teaching or attending classes in the Spring of 2013 and I would have two whole months off with my baby. Sadly, not meant to be. I was thinking of not temping/charting for awhile, not because of the job situation, but because I wasn't sure I was ready. But, I had a feeling last week that I was ovulating. Granted it doesn't take genius to figure this out if you are paying attention to your body, but still little things I never picked up on before TTC are now blaringly clear. Of course being the POAS-addict that I am, I tested and got a +OPK!!!


I have to admit I was surprised. I haven't gotten my period since September 17th, and therefore not since my m/c so I didn't think I would ovulate this cycle but it looks like we are still in the game for October/November. I'm still not 100% sure that I ovulated but we tried our darnest anyway. Now back to the job situation. If we are successful this month, which c'mon is unlikely (2 cycles in a row), the EDD is end of July. Still good! After this month, everything else will definitely interfere with a perspective job, whether it be the current posting, or another in the future. I've thought about this...a lot! I can't wrap my head around taking a break for a job. Yes, I've work really hard to get to this place in my career, but that isn't everything. I want a family, and we are ready now. So, FX for this month but if not this month we are going to keep on trying.

I am not going to let the good get in the way of the great!

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you lady! I have everything crossed for you! (This is lobo BTW)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww lobo thank you! I'm a dirty lurker over on June BMB to see how everything is going. Thinking of you too lady :)

      Delete