Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Praying to St. Gerard Majella

~~~*~Religion Alert~*~~~

I grew up Roman Catholic, my grandparents were devout parishioners till they passed and my mother continues to attend Mass on a weekly basis. I have not attended church in a long time, but I pray and practice in a way that I feel comfortable with at this stage in my life. I haven't prayed as much in recent years as I have in the past and I feel a Spiritual void right now.

I've recently started praying to St. Gerard Majella. Although not officially named the Patron Saint of Mothers by the Catholic Church, he is often looked to as the Saint for children, unborn children, expectant mothers and motherhood. The reasoning behind this is somewhat of a mystery, but quite interesting. I feel disrespectful praying only when I want something or need something, but it is during these times I need greater strength and look to a higher being for that strength.

I have not discussed the beginning of my relationship with my husband in my blog yet...at some point I will share the story. Briefly, I will state that I prayed to St. Michael after he was in a near fatel accident when we first started seeing each other. I even wore a St. Michael pendant around my neck for months, if not close to a year. That pendant remains in my jewelry box as a reminder of the strength it gave me during that awful time. St. Michael is the Patron of sickness. 

I have been thinking of getting myself this. Might it be silly? Sure, but in some small way I think it may help me express my Spirituality and strengthen my faith.

 
Prayer For Motherhood
O good Saint Gerard, powerful intercessor before God and Wonderworker of our day, I call upon thee and seek thy aid. Thou who on earth didst always fulfill God’s designs, help me to do the holy Will of God. Beseech the Master of Life, from Whom all paternity proceedeth, to render me fruitful in offspring, that I may raise up children to God in this life and heirs to the Kingdom of His Glory in the world to come. Amen.
  

6 comments:

  1. My mom got me one, and I have been wearing it for close to 3 months! I wear the pendant with the necklace that used to be my Nana's.

    Not silly at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not religious and I'm certainly not Catholic, but I say go for it! TTC is a huge struggle and challenge - even during the good times. Why not find strength and courage wherever it may be? (If we were also FIRL, you'd totally find one of these in your mailbox later this week.) ~ adunkin TB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing that gives you hope or strength could ever be silly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Catholic here! I say that prayer daily. It really gives me stength!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it's silly at all. I'm not religious, but a dear friend gave me a St Gerard pendant that was blessed and it has become very important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a bad Catholic! I'm not familiar with this saint at all. I agree that if it brings you comfort and strength, absolutely do it. And thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete